For the last few years I’ve made fairy bread at each of my children’s birthday party and every year at least one person asks me, “what is fairy bread and how do you make it?” Fairy bread is commonly served at children’s parties in Australia and New Zealand. There’s even a Facebook page devoted to this fun party food!
Believe it or not, fairy bread is the EASIEST (and probably cheapest) party food. Basically, it is white bread that you’ve spread with butter or margarine and then topped with sprinkles. I like to use a cookie cutter to make the fairy bread into fun shapes and the kids love it. It truly is super easy but if you feel that you need step by step instructions, here you go:
1. spread a slice of white bread with butter or margarine
2. place cookie cutter in the center of the bread
3. top with sprinkles such as hundreds and thousands (nonpareils)
4. press down the cookie cutter and you may need to use a knife to cut around the edges, too
5. lift the cookie cutter
6. et voila! Pretty fairy bread… ready to place on your platter
Here are some photos taken by Danielle Helms of All Things Great and Small Photography showing how I made these:
If you decide to make fairy bread at your next children’s party please let me know how it goes!
Also, if you live in the Pensacola, Florida area, be sure to check out Danielle’s Facebook page. She can also be contacted via e-mail at Danielle@AllThingsGreatAndSmallPhotography or phone at (850) 994-4508. She has a portable studio that she’ll bring to your home for portrait photos.